2012 Pinewood Derby Rules
It is that time of year again to start gearing up for the Pinewood Derby! We wanted to send out a few instructions pertaining to the Pinewood Derby and the rules that will apply to this year’s race. We know that there are rules included in each Pinewood Derby box, but those rules do not contain a lot of details. We would like to keep this event fun for the boys and at the same time operating within the spirit of the Pinewood Derby rules. The Pinewood Derby is really a lot of fun and is also a great project for the Cub Scout and Akelas/parents.
As you are going through your preparations, please keep the following rules in mind for the event:
ALL CARS MUST PASS INSPECTION TO QUALIFY FOR THE RACE
The following are the inspection points:
1. The car weight shall not exceed 5.0 ounces. The official race scale shall be considered final.
2. The overall length of the car shall not exceed 7 inches.
3. The overall width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾ inches.
4. The car must have 1 ¾” clearance between the wheels.
5. The car must have 3/8” clearance underneath the body between the car and track.
6. The wood provided in the kit must be used.
7. Only official BSA wheels can be used on your car. The wheels may be modified, but full sidewall must be visible.
8. The axles supplied with the kit must be used. They may be polished or lubricated.
9. Only dry lubricant is permitted
10. Wheel bearings, washers or bushings are prohibited.
11. The car cannot ride on any type of springs.
12. The car must be freewheeling, with no starting devices.
Have fun making those derby cars! We can’t wait to see them all at the race!
Posted in Eventswith .